Click on thumbnail images below to view larger images
After leaving the U.S. Army, Marv Kaisersatt taught junior high math in Faribault, Minnesota until his retirement in 1995. With time on his hands during a work stoppage in 1976, he turned to woodcarving.
Marv prefers the challenge of carving scenes from a single block of basswood. This allows the carving to take on a sculptural quality through the interplay of mass and space.
He teaches classes at Whillock Studio in Faribault. The emphasis is on designing in clay and carving the caricature from bandsawn blanks.
He has written a book, “Creating Caricature Heads in Wood and on Paper.” It takes the carver through yet another approach for carving caricature heads, but more important, it lays out a detailed procedure for designing them.
At the International Woodcarvers Congress, considered by many as the premier general woodcarving competition, Marv, as a caricature carver, has amassed a variety of awards and honors.
- 1991 – Cecil Wakefield Award for Unusual Interpretation
- 1992 – Featured Show Exhibit
- 1996 – Peoples Choice Award
- 1997 – Second Show Runner-up
- 1998 – Flexcut Creativity Award
- 2002 – Featured Show Exhibit
- 2002 – First Show Runner-up
- 2003 – Cecil Wakefield Award for Unusual Interpretation
- 2004 – Best in Show
- Best in Caricatures (11 times)
- In 2006 he was honored by Woodcarving Illustrated as their Woodcarver of the Year.
227 Central Avenue
Faribault, MN 55021